Skip to main content

The Flip

  I FLIPPED A HOUSE! I actually did it! 
  As a kid, probably from the time I was 12, when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I'd say an Interior Designer. I don't think I totally understood what that meant, but I knew that I wanted to make houses pretty. As I got into high school I realized that there was not much of a market for that here in Utah so I became a cosmetologist (designing people is kind of the same, right?) The first time I heard of flipping houses I knew that it was something I would love, I have been watching those shows on HGTV for years wishing that someday I could do it but never thought it was possible, with my husband working 2 jobs and me having babies and raising kids it just didn't seem doable. Then I got the itch. Russ was home more and we were finally in a position that might allow for this undertaking, I told Russ my idea and he went along... that is until he realized I was serious, the whole idea of risking that much money on something that wasn't certain scared him and I both but I talked him into it. Dan wanted to jump on board so we started looking for the right house. To make a long story short, the stars aligned, we found the house, jumped on it, and dove right into a major renovation. 
  Russ and I financed the house while Dan financed the renovation. It was an old   900sf cottage style home in Rose Park, built in 1947. The basement was unfinished and the whole house needed a major face lift, to say that it was ugly would be the understatement of the century. The entire house reeked of cigarette smoke, was covered in paneling & disease infested carpet that I was afraid to let my children sit on, and had a kitchen that would nauseate even the strongest of stomachs. We gutted the entire thing! 
  We contracted out most of the work but I still spent many long days there, as did Russ and Dan. I even painted the entire house myself (which BTW I'll never do again). It was exhausting but so fun to see it come together. I was so excited once we had finally finished all of the behind the walls stuff and could finally see it becoming beautiful. I loved the design aspect of the project and had a blast shopping and picking out all of our finishes. It turned out gorgeous!
  We listed it on a Friday night and had a full price offer by Sunday afternoon, we were shocked and totally thrilled! Although it's not quite the $50,000 pay day you see on TV, we couldn't have been happier with the outcome and are one step closer to our own dream home!
  We discussed doing it again but decided that for now, my job is to be a mom, maybe we'll reconsider in a few years. In the end I'm so glad I did this, even though it was scary, it's definitely a check on the bucket list!
 Here are some before and afters!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agr...

Eventful day

  It's only 1:00pm and already it's been an eventful day.   Last night after dinner as I was getting Kalei ready for a bath, I noticed that the dog was missing, so Russ searched the house to see if the kids had locked her up somewhere, but she was nowhere to be found. We figured she had snuck out unnoticed while Russ was getting the mail a few hours before, so he and the boys went out driving to try and locate her, but to no avail. We figured that if nobody had let her in she would probably freeze to death in the 20 degree weather with heavy snowfall, but what could we do?   As I was shoveling out my car at about 6:45 this morning, guess who showed up? Yep, Annie Belle, and she didn't look like she'd been freezing all night so I'm assuming some good Samaritan let her in for the night. I hope that dumb dog learned her lesson this time!   On a happier note, Kalei slept for NINE hours last night! By the time she woke me up at six, my boobs were like milk sprin...

Gabriela Skye

   Well, we finally did it! We had a baby, and she is absolutely beautiful!   As per the usual with this entire journey, nothing went according to plan, but Mac and Katy are now holding their beautiful little girl which, makes it all worthwhile.     At 46 years old, the pregnancy was difficult. I suppose I should’ve expected it to be that way but I just assumed I had the same resiliency I did 12 years ago, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case. My body has been through a lot during this process, and I definitely felt it through the entire pregnancy, but the baby was healthy and thriving and that’s what mattered the most.     On June 27th I started having weekly appointments. Everything looked great that day, but by the time I went back on July 2nd things had taken an interesting turn. I had been having contractions for a few weeks, but over the last couple of days they had increased in intensity and frequency, still I didn’t think too much of it, but ...