Skip to main content

Moving on

  What a crazy year so far! Last year we started discussing the option of selling our house and moving somewhere closer to Russ' jobs. We went back and forth for a long time being hesitant to leave the place we'd grown to love so much, but finally felt strongly that it was time to go.
  We wanted to get Taevin through the school year before moving so we didn't list until March. Things went well, so well that we got ELEVEN offers the first weekend we showed our home. I couldn't believe it! Apparently it was a sellers market. We accepted an offer that ended up falling through after a few weeks so we started showing again. We had several more showings but one couple came through that really stuck out to me. Stuart and McKenna, they were a young family with a cute little girl. They reminded me so much of us when we first moved there, and I hit it off with McKenna immediately. They loved my house and I knew that they were the ones that I wanted to have it. They put in an offer and I told my realtor that we would accept it.
  The process was stressful but went pretty smoothly. We ended up moving on June 29th and closing July 5th.
  I spent May and June packing the place we had become a family in and that had been our home for almost seven years. Every room had a memory. (Pardon my self indulgence here as I reminisce) Taevin was only 1 when we came, and one of the first things we did was decorate his space room. Russ and I finished the basement together while I was pregnant with Ryler, we designed every inch ourselves, including a salon for me so I could work from home. That salon ended up being such a blessing not just financially but in that I made so many wonderful friends while doing their hair.
  When I was pregnant with Zoey I would sit in my glider rocker that Russ had bought me for our 1st Christmas together, and dream of what I'd do to that room if she was a girl. When we found out that she was, the first thing I did was buy paint, and I got to work on my dream nursery... and it was beautiful! I even gave birth to Zoey in that very room.
  We spent so much time in Russ and my room watching movies as a family, cuddling in bed with my babies and having those wonderful late night talks together.
  When I had Aspen, it was in our living room on November 30th, so the Christmas decorations were up and all of our pictures from that night have the sparkly lights from the Christmas tree in the background. We spent 6 Christmas mornings in that room and tons of birthday parties and other holidays as well. 
  I cried as I packed up the kitchen, I know it sounds crazy but I spent most of my time awake in that room. The huge walk-in pantry is what sold me that house! I LOVED that room! I had refinished the cabinets... twice. I painted and decorated every inch, and it functioned perfectly for me.
  As hard as it was to leave that house, it was even harder to leave my neighbors. Some of my best friends were just a porch away. My kids had tons of friends and we spent most days outside together eating watermelon and watching the kids play.
  My neighbors always had my back and I had theirs, we shared ingredients, watched each others kids and brought treats on a regular basis. Natalie and Tasia watched my kids several times so I could pack, to be honest I don't think I could've done this move without them. Tasia, Natalie, Scarlett, Shanna, Elisa and so many others that I'll never forget. I love these ladies and miss them every day!
  We are now renting a house in Farmington, we've been here about a month and a half. We're settled in and for the most part have everything in order. The house is nice (everything but the pantry) and the neighborhood is a suburban fantasy. We're at the end of a friendly street lined with mature trees and a park across the street. The ward has been so welcoming and the schools are fantastic. Farmington was even just rated #14 for best cities to live in the United States. On paper this place is perfect and we do like it, but once you've lived in Davencourt, nothing else will ever be the same.
  School is starting soon and I'm excited. I've loved having them home but am excited for them to get back into a routine and start making friends. I look forward to the memories we'll make here!  
 



Comments

  1. I miss having you so close, but am glad you are happy in Farmington.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per