Skip to main content

Pregnancy

 
  I remember when Russ and I were dating and in the early stages of marriage, you know, the time when you're still on your best behavior, you brush your teeth before making out and would never think of passing gas in front of one another. Well that was when I made the decision that I'd never be one of those wives that "gave up". I'd always make the effort look pretty for him and never be caught saying things like "why bother getting all dressed up, I have no one to impress". In fact that has always been and still is one of my most hated quotes, I cringe when I hear it come out of married women's mouths, I think to myself "What do you mean you don't have anyone to impress? What about the man that supports you and fathers your children? This is the attitude that causes men's eyes to wander!" So anyway, I've always made a conscious effort to impress my sweet Russ, well that is until about a month ago.
  I'll never understand women who painlessly have babies late into their thirties and beyond, and I'm disappointed in my lack of grace this time around, I've always embraced pregnancy and been so good at it. In fact, when I was   pregnant with Ryler (mind you this was only 2 1/2 years ago), I managed to help Russ finish an entire basement and have energy left over for nesting and occasional sex, and today, at that same stage of the game, I can barely move. My house is a disaster due to my inability to bend over, my hips are killing me and causing me to waddle like a penguin, heartburn has caused Tums to practically become a food group, my pelvic bone feels like it's broken and breathing has become a new and unpleasant challenge making it difficult to accomplish anything normal. Me and everything around me is falling apart and all I can manage to do about is observe. So alas, I have become what I always feared most, the frazzled, worn out, covered in ketchup and peanut butter stains, pony tailed mom... the one who "gave up".
  I'll chalk this up to being over thirty, much too old to breeze through the process of creating a new life. Now in my own defense, I do still wear some make up, but in the grand scheme of things, I could be doing a lot better, but fortunately for me, I have a wonderful husband whom I'm pretty sure is partially blind. Example; every night as I'm getting into the shower he whistles, and every time, I look behind me to see who he's whistling at. I mean, it can't possibly be me, doesn't he see the cellulite on my thighs and my sagging boobs that look more like goat milkers than the firm, perky breasts he married seven years ago? But sure enough, it's always me he's whistling at, I guess it's true what they say about love being blind.
  Well, enough complaining for one evening, I suppose in the end, I am grateful for a husband who's eyes never wander despite my shabby appearance as of lately, and for my beautiful daughter whom I'm sure will be worth every bit of misery I'm going through, and for my two boys who are the cause of a good deal of my exhaustion, but sweet, wonderful boys nonetheless.
  And tomorrow I'm off to see the chiropractor!
 

Comments

  1. Ha ha! You made me laugh really hard. Unfortunately, after 5 kids, I have given up. The ponytails and sweats are here to stay. I know I have plenty of people to impress, but honestly I'd rather be comfortable. It's a good thing any time I comment on my sad appearance, my husband says something like, "Well take a look at my big gut!" I also get an occasional whistle. It's nice that we have men who make us feel good. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, my pregnancy with Aubrey sounds just like yours with Kalei so when I have more I'll really be screwed! Pony tails have become my best friend! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure you invitation worked! Can you send it to me again please? It was nice to see you guys yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I now have an invite to your blog! I love blogging and love reading other people's blogs. Your family is adorable and I can't wait to see pics of your new lil' princess!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per