Skip to main content

Pam

  Just over a week ago I lost a long time friend, Pam Soloman. It was almost 20 years ago that she hired me to work at The Coverlook at the Fashion Place mall, it became one of my favorite jobs and I was blessed to have Pam as an example in my life. 
  Over the years I have continued to work for her in her own studio, and she has taken many pictures of our family, including the birth of our little Aspen. 
  It was just a few weeks ago that I saw her for the last time, I went in to work for her & we chatted about doing family pictures soon. How grateful I am to have had that last opportunity to see her.
  Attending her funeral was difficult and heartbreaking, but inspiring as well. As sniffles filled the room, her 3 boys talked about their love for their beautiful mama, and to hear her husband Scott talk about his sweetheart, and his knowledge of their forever family, I left inspired to be better. To show more unconditional love as she did to everyone she met. I left with a resolution to be a better wife and a more kind and patient mother. Someday, when it's my turn to return home, I hope that my children will have the same sweet words to say about me.
  Pam was beautiful inside and out and her influence was lasting. She will be greatly missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per

Kalei

  She is here! She made her debut at 1:02 am on Tuesday August 10th 2010. I'll now give the disclaimer; this is a birth story, if you happen to be squeamish, do not proceed!   For the last few weeks I have been more than ready for this day. Mom arrived on Friday so we were anxious to get this show on the road so I could take full advantage of having a little extra help.   Monday was my appointment with Rebecca (my wonderful midwife), we went in at 11:00 am and I expressed my desire to get things started, we discussed some options that might safely get things moving provided Kalei was actually done cooking. We decided on a mixture of blue and black cohosh, and what a handy little concoction that turned out to be. It is an herb that basically invites the baby to come, it will bring on contractions and if you are ready to deliver, the contractions will continue once the herb wears off, if not, they will simply stop. Luckily for me, we were indeed ready. The contractions starte