Skip to main content

A proud mommy

  The holidays are in full swing! Anyone who knows me knows that I don't love Halloween, but I actually enjoyed it this year. Dan decorated the house, and we're talking SERIOUS decorations, and we spent the evening handing out hot dogs and hot chocolate while the kids trick-or-treated. Next year I'll be doubling the amount of hot chocolate I buy since it was such a big hit!
  Thanksgiving was fantastic as always, is there really anything better than a lazy day full of food and family? We got 2 for the price of one this year, my family on Thanksgiving and Russ' the following Saturday, and the bonus prize? We got to watch our beautiful niece Amber (LuAnn's oldest daughter) open her mission call to the Independence Missouri Visitor's Center mission. So happy for her and so grateful for an amazing family who are such good examples to my children. So so much to be thankful for!
  Two of my kids have November birthdays, (mating season in our house is obviously in February) Ryler turned 9 on the 10th and Aspen turned 4 on the 30th. How are these kids growing up so fast? Ryler loves anything science and wants to be a geologist just like his namesake, Great Grandpa Whitney, he's so smart and handsome, but definitely still a tease. We have enrolled him in a new charter school for next year, it is a STEM school (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) and I think he'll excel there.
  Aspen... oh my, what do I even say about that little gem? She's so beautiful in every way! So optimistic and pleasant, and much like Ryler in a lot of ways. A bit mischievous but a joy to be around as she sings everywhere she goes, dances, giggles and radiates happiness!
  Christmas is creeping up fast and I'm thoroughly enjoying the season this year. Since decorating didn't happen last year because of the move, I have had so much fun doing it this year, maybe too much! I love our home and have filled it full of Christmas spirit. I can't wait to cuddle by the fire and watch our babies open their presents on Christmas morning. And another bonus, we're hosting Christmas dinner with Russ' family so we can finish off the day with lots of fun & family.
  And finally, I have to share the proud mommy moment I had the other day. My neighbor across the street has a son who is autistic, as does my friend Taryn. I have explained to my boys what autism is and the importance of being kind to everyone, even those who are different, and Taryn has expressed her appreciation for my boys kindness toward Spencer. Well, I guess a few weeks ago Taevin & Ryler were out in the circle playing a game when my neighbors son James came over to play with them, she stood back and watched the interaction and told me how impressed she was that not only did my boys include him in the game, but made sure he won. This was a welcome change as she said that most kids won't play with him and don't know how to respond to his disability. This story melted my heart and made me so proud of the people these boys are turning out to be.
  I saw a meme the other day that said "Behind every great kid is a mother who is certain she's screwing it all up". Truth. Often I feel like I'm failing at this mom thing but it's moments like that that give me the hope that I'm doing okay. Like I said, so so much to be thankful for.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Kalei

  She is here! She made her debut at 1:02 am on Tuesday August 10th 2010. I'll now give the disclaimer; this is a birth story, if you happen to be squeamish, do not proceed!   For the last few weeks I have been more than ready for this day. Mom arrived on Friday so we were anxious to get this show on the road so I could take full advantage of having a little extra help.   Monday was my appointment with Rebecca (my wonderful midwife), we went in at 11:00 am and I expressed my desire to get things started, we discussed some options that might safely get things moving provided Kalei was actually done cooking. We decided on a mixture of blue and black cohosh, and what a handy little concoction that turned out to be. It is an herb that basically invites the baby to come, it will bring on contractions and if you are ready to deliver, the contractions will continue once the herb wears off, if not, they will simply stop. Luckily for me, we were indeed ready. The contractions starte

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t