Skip to main content

Grateful

  Today our lesson in Young Women's was on gratitude, and a fantastic lesson it was! Did you know that statistically, grateful people are happier? No joke! There have been studies done on this topic. I won't go into detail but I found it super interesting, but not surprising how much just a simple thankful attitude can change your life. 
  With this month being November, gratitude seems to be in the air as we prepare for Thanksgiving, and I can't help but think about the many things I've been blessed with.
  My last update was in August and shortly after that I started my job as a lunch lady at Bonneville Academy. With the changes in Russ' job earlier this year, my job has been nothing short of a blessing and I'm always amazed at how God's hand is working in my life. I got my job before we had any idea what would happen with Russ', but it is obvious to me that God knew and had a plan for us all along. I am grateful for a job that I enjoy and that I work with fantastic people.
  As for the last couple of months, life is good. The kids are settling into their new schools, Taevin at Clarke N. Johnson, Ryler and Zoey at Bonneville, and Aspen finishing up her last year of preschool with Ms. Sherri. They are all doing well and for the most part enjoying school. 
  In September we spent the month adjusting to our new schedules. The only significant thing that happened was the passing of our cat, Ammo. Taevin called me one day after school saying that he was "breathing weird" I hurried home, and sure enough he was, so we took him to the vet who gave him a cortisone shot hoping that would help, it didn't. By the next day it had gotten worse and there wasn't much we could do so we made the decision to let him go so he wouldn't have to suffer any longer. We put him down on a Friday and it was a sad weekend. Taevin had the hardest time and still misses him but we're glad he's happy now... and probably in a place where he doesn't have to deal with dogs!



  October wasn't super eventful other than Halloween. Dan did the usual over the top decorating of our house (he even made me help him build an outhouse with a peeing skeleton, which turned out to be a pretty big hit) and we gave out hot dogs and hot chocolate. Taevin didn't trick-or-treat this year but instead had a pretty sweet party the weekend prior to Halloween. Oh, and the kids costumes were pretty awesome, everyone loved Aspen's!














 November is off to a good start, Ryler just had his 10th birthday, Grandmas is on the 15th, and we'll celebrate Aspen's 5th on the 30th. These kids are growing so fast! 
  For this month we decided to do a family challenge, so it's officially no-sugar November. All of us (except Aspen who is a bit young to understand) has taken the challenge to cut out most sugars. Our only cheat day is Thanksgiving but at the end if the kids complete the challenge they'll earn $30. Taevin and Zoey and doing amazing! Ryler gave up after 8 days and Russ and I are miserable but hanging in there. It's tough but hopefully a good lesson on being more mindful of our health.
  I'm thankful for this little family of mine and love this time of year and the opportunity we have to focus on the gratitude we have for each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per