Skip to main content

Fresh start

  Christmas came and went and it was lovely. Busy, but lovely nonetheless. Mom was here celebrating her 60th birthday and it was fun to have her. We saw the Forgotten Carols & Christmas lights, shopped, ate, and crammed as many things in as we could. By the end of it all I was exhausted, but isn't that always the case that time of year?
  The new year has been full of change already and I was right not to hold my breath. After only a week of Russ being on day shift, the company decided to make their employees as miserable as possible, and take weekends away from almost everyone. Russ opted to go back to the graveyard shift for the sake of making it to church, he now has Wednesday & Thursday nights off, so he sits at home alone on his days off while everyone else is gone, then goes back to work when the rest of us are just starting our weekend, causing me to spend my weekend yelling at the kids to be quiet while dad sleeps. In case you can't tell, I'm not thrilled. Still, we have much to be thankful for and are trying desperately to focus on the positive.
  On another note, for the last while we've been having some testing done for Zoey at school. She has been struggling in many areas and I've felt that it's time to do something. The school has put an IEP (individualized education plan) in place so she can get the extra help she needs and I feel blessed to have such good people working with her. We will be seeing a child psychologist in March and I'm tracking all of her food intake this month to check for internal issues and food intolerances, that poor little girl always seems to have a tummy ache! It's all a lot to manage but I'm optimistic that we will figure things out so that life can be a little better for her. 
  I'm approaching 40 and think I might be going through some kind of midlife crisis. From the wrinkles & adult acne to the extra 15 pounds, I feel like physically, I'm falling apart and I'm not emotionally prepared to handle it. I used to be so cute, what the hell happened?!? 
  Anyway, overall life is good and we are very blessed. I have a beautiful family and a husband who still whistles at me when I get out of the shower... cellulite and all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per