Skip to main content

Alligators

    I've mentioned a few times how I feel about this "pandemic". A hoax, a man-made virus, fear mongering with side effects far more dangerous than the virus itself, and an agenda driven by politics and those seeking power. This has been going on for nearly 2 years now and there's always some new scheme to assert control over the masses; new variants, masks, vaccines and boosters. Everyone is confused and divided, and I'm tired. 

I have sought inspiration and feel like the Lord has supported my decisions, and as long as He has my back, nothing else matters, right? That's what I thought, until my answers went against what the prophet was saying. I mean how does that even work? I was always taught that my personal revelation would never contradict the council of the Lord's prophet. So I cling to Jesus like a life-line, knowing that at least He understands me, even when my priesthood leaders see me as rebellious and lacking faith, or at least that's what it feels like. 

    I HATE masks. That's not really a secret, but what most people don't truly understand is why. Like other mask-haters I believe that they are ineffective, and used primarily used for fear and control, but in addition to that, I am severely claustrophobic. Claustrophobia is defined as the fear of confined spaces and is typically classified as an anxiety disorder. I don't actually mind elevators or windowless rooms, my fear is of not being able to breathe, and since there isn't a word for that, claustrophobia is the best way to describe it.

    My earliest recollection of feeling this was when I was a kid, probably 8 or 9, playing in a friends backyard pool, I got trapped under a giant floaty that all of my friends were on top of, and I couldn't breathe. By some miracle I got out, but that experience is burned into my mind, much like when I was 19 and working at a club on Halloween night, and had to take my turn in the coffin by the entrance, with a scary mask over my face, reaching up my hand to scare the people who walked by. Almost immediately there were tears streaming down my face and I was hyperventilating. Luckily a co-worker came by to check on me and grabbed my boss who got me out of there. I've never liked snorkeling or being in the water the way Russ does and I will instinctively turn my head to get some air if Russ kisses me for too long or accidentally puts the sheet over my head while we're in bed. I always knew that this was an issue, but because I wasn't faced with it regularly, I never gave it much thought. Then came March of 2020...

    Imaging having a debilitating fear of alligators, but it's not that big of a deal, I mean it's not like we're living in the everglades of Florida, and that's not exactly something that comes up in casual conversation, so most people are unaware. But one day you're suddenly surrounded by alligators, everyone has one, and even the government is saying that everyone must own one to keep them safe. But you know that it won't keep you safe, in fact for you, it'll do way more harm than good, but still, everywhere you go people have alligators, and even though it raises your blood pressure seeing everyone else's, you put on a fake smile and say to yourself "to each their own". But that isn't good enough, people are giving you dirty looks and making snide comments about you being irresponsible for not having one. You have anxiety every time a friend wants to go out because you're not sure if that particular establishment will honor your medical exemption (but hey, at least your doctor gets it). Then one day, insult is added to injury, the church that you love and have given your whole life to, for some asinine reason, makes a statement that you must have an alligator to attend the temple. 

    This is how I feel. The one place that I should be able to go to find solace, now won't let me in. It doesn't make sense, how can the Lord's church discriminate in this way? I am paying tithing that helps build temples that I can't even enter, despite being worthy and having the desire to go. I guess I'll make that sacrifice and trust that the Lord knows more that I do, but what do I say when my sweet Zoey who just entered Young Women's asks when I can take her to do baptisms? What do I do when in just a year or so, Taevin is ready to receive his endowments before he leaves for the mission he wants to serve? These are the questions that keep me up at night. 

    It's hard not to question your faith in times like these, I keep telling myself that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true, I've had too many experiences to deny His presence in my life, but the church... Yes, I've heard that the church is perfect but the people are not (and all those other go-to cliche's church members use). For the record I don't think the church is perfect, the gospel is a different story although many members see them as one in the same. I've spent countless prayers petitioning the Lord for understanding, and although I have my theories, it doesn't change my situation, so I'll keep praying for a miracle, one that is way bigger than me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per