Skip to main content

Kalei

  She is here! She made her debut at 1:02 am on Tuesday August 10th 2010. I'll now give the disclaimer; this is a birth story, if you happen to be squeamish, do not proceed!
  For the last few weeks I have been more than ready for this day. Mom arrived on Friday so we were anxious to get this show on the road so I could take full advantage of having a little extra help.
  Monday was my appointment with Rebecca (my wonderful midwife), we went in at 11:00 am and I expressed my desire to get things started, we discussed some options that might safely get things moving provided Kalei was actually done cooking. We decided on a mixture of blue and black cohosh, and what a handy little concoction that turned out to be. It is an herb that basically invites the baby to come, it will bring on contractions and if you are ready to deliver, the contractions will continue once the herb wears off, if not, they will simply stop. Luckily for me, we were indeed ready. The contractions started around noon and continued through the evening. At about 6:00 pm I called Rebecca to see if this could be for real, she told me it probably was, I called Russ and told him he'd probably need to come home from work, by 7:00, I insisted that he come home. I labored at home with the support of Russ and my mom and Grandma Cindy came over and played with the kids and took pictures. I had Rebecca come over around 11:00 pm, we monitored her heart rate and she seemed to be dropping farther down with every contraction. Taevin and Ryler were having a great time helping to fill the inflatable tub but we finally got them into bed a little after eleven. I climbed into the tub and we waited... and waited... and waited, all the while the contractions getting much more intense, every time one would hit, I would grab onto Russ and try to breathe my way through it. I was exhausted and felt like this would never end, in fact, for the last 30 minutes or so I would cry during these contractions, I was convinced that she was never coming, and assured Russ that we were definitely done having kids. I've learned that there's a good reason they call it "labor". I finally felt somewhat of an urge to push, so I did and little by little, she moved. I reached down and felt the bag of water that hadn't broken yet, there was so much pressure that I was practically begging Rebecca to break it, I gave one more big push and felt a pop, finally it was broken, aaah, the relief! I reached down again and felt her head, a couple more good pushes and I felt what has appropriately been named "the ring of fire", her head came out, everyone was telling me that we were almost there, my head was spinning at this point and all I could think of was getting her out, one more good push and it was a done deal, I reached down and grabbed her and pulled her up to me.
  I remember Russ saying "she's so cute, you did it!" She didn't cry right away but Rebecca could tell that she was breathing given that the cord was still pulsing, we sat in the tub and cuddled for a while, I was exhausted but triumphant. We tried to wake up Taevin to meet his little sister, but to no avail, he was oblivious despite his insistence on being woken up for the big moment, so we sent him back to bed. Grandma Shaffer cut the cord and I gave her to her daddy, I took a quick rinse in the shower and delivered the placenta then climbed into bed.
  Rebecca didn't want to leave but she had another patient in labor so I insisted that she go. She came back in the morning to follow up.
  Kalei fed well and is determined to continue to do so, and as she should given her whole 5 lbs 14 oz birth weight!
  We are so grateful to have had such a wonderful birth experience and a beautiful daughter to show for it, and I must say that I couldn't have done it without Russ, he was there with me every step of the way. Our family is complete and we are thrilled!

Comments

  1. Wow, amazing! I am so thrilled for you guys. Can't wait to see the little angel. Way to go Amy - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Amy! What an amazing experiance! You are a trooper. I don't know if I could ever do an all natural birth. But you've inspired me. She is adorable, and I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per