Skip to main content

Eventful day

  It's only 1:00pm and already it's been an eventful day.
  Last night after dinner as I was getting Kalei ready for a bath, I noticed that the dog was missing, so Russ searched the house to see if the kids had locked her up somewhere, but she was nowhere to be found. We figured she had snuck out unnoticed while Russ was getting the mail a few hours before, so he and the boys went out driving to try and locate her, but to no avail. We figured that if nobody had let her in she would probably freeze to death in the 20 degree weather with heavy snowfall, but what could we do?
  As I was shoveling out my car at about 6:45 this morning, guess who showed up? Yep, Annie Belle, and she didn't look like she'd been freezing all night so I'm assuming some good Samaritan let her in for the night. I hope that dumb dog learned her lesson this time!
  On a happier note, Kalei slept for NINE hours last night! By the time she woke me up at six, my boobs were like milk sprinklers, I don't think I've ever gone that long between feedings before, but I haven't felt this rested in a very long time. What a good baby!
  So how do I reward such good behavior? Well, I took her to the mall and got her ears pierced and made her cry. I feel like a terrible mother!
  Russ has been wanting to pierce her ears since the moment we found out she was a girl. Now don't get me wrong, I love all things girly, and have more fun than a kid in a candy store buying clothes for her, but ear piercing was not high on my list of priorities. I suppose the thought of making my babies cry is just unappealing, but Russ brought it up again last night so despite my hesitance,  I called my good friend Heather this morning, who has fostered over 20 babies, which makes her an expert when it comes to anything baby related. She assured me that it was a good idea and even agreed to meet me at the mall for moral support.
  After going to every store in the mall that offered piercing, alas, we found one that carried the little bezel set diamond studs I was looking for. The lady did a great job and was even patient with "the overly paranoid mom". Kalei cried, well screamed for a couple of minutes until I fed her and has been fine since. She now has pretty little diamonds just like her mommy and is as beautiful as she has always been. I'm sure Russ will be pleasantly surprised when he wakes up.
 

Comments

  1. Oh I wish you had called me to come with you. I REALLY want to pierce Sadie's ears. I don't know why I haven't done it sooner! I am glad Annie showed up. Funny dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way you do about piercing ears. I am as girly as they come, but I just never really thought about doing it until Kassi asks. Well, and Brad is totally against it until Kassi is older. I bet she looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just took all 3 of our girls in last Saturday to get them done. Hannah has been asking for months so we agreed she could get it done for her birthday. It was terrible to see how Emalee cried. I didn't hold her I made my sister do it and then I could be the one to console her when it was all over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks adorable. Thanks for inviting me along.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per