Skip to main content

The big mistake

  Have you ever made a mistake? One that maybe didn't seem like a mistake at the moment, but as time went on, you realized that the choice was the wrong one? Well, what can I do but swallow my pride and admit that I made a mistake when I named my daughter. There, I said it, I gave my only little girl the wrong name.
  Callae was one of those names that I randomly just threw out there, and Russ happened to love it... and so did I until we started using it on a daily basis. She was only a few months old when I realized how difficult this name was, it just didn't roll off the tongue easily, in fact I even found myself having to practice it in my head before it came out. I mentioned it to Russ a few times but he just blew it off and I tried to deal with it. Finally when she was 8 months old I couldn't take it anymore. After much discussion my idea to change the name completely was shot down (due to the fact that Russ didn't want to take the ridicule), Russ did however agree to change the spelling. Despite my better judgement I agreed, thinking that would help. It didn't.
  My sweet girl is now 13 months and after a lot of lost sleep, tears, prayers and even a few fights, we have decided to change her name.  
  A couple of days ago we started calling her Zoey (officially it will be Zoey Kalei). It felt weird at first but I'm surprised at how natural it is becoming. We feel good about this change and I finally feel at peace. The name fits her perfectly and I'm confident that it will make her life easier in the long run.
  Thank you to my amazing husband for understanding my need to do this, and to my mom and a few wonderful friends for supporting me and loving me despite my high strung, obsessive personality (yes, I've come to terms with it). And to all you haters who are gossiping in your head even now, feel free to keep it to yourself because we don't care what you think!

Comments

  1. you gotta stay true to your feelings and know one else's thoughts matter. I don't think anyone would be gossiping about this cause I don't see anything wrong. It is your choice and you are brave to do what you feel is right even if there are haters. Whatev! Can't wait to meet the new Zoey! :)SO cute btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoey is a beautiful name. She is beautiful. You and Russ are amazing parents. I'm happy you are at peace, and that it feels good. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you took the plunge. Zoey Callae is a beautiful name and it fits her well. As the parent who changed both of her kids original names, I totally "get it". Lots of love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's beautiful no matter what you call her! I'm glad you're happy with your decision. Good hubby--way to be supportive!
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, you are one amazing person. That does take a lot of guts for a lot of reasons. I personally LOVE Zoey! It's such a cute name. Perfect for such a cute little girl. And I really don't think there will be any haters. There is nothing wrong with what you did. You are doing what is best for your daughter, and that is very admirable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go with what you think is right! Both names are beautiful and she is too. I was watching her in church today. She's a doll!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per