Skip to main content

Recap


   What a year! It's almost over so I figured a recap was in order. 

  Taevin is 15, he's had his learners permit since January and has become a pretty decent driver. He'll be turning 16 and getting his license in about 3 weeks, and is so excited! I'm excited to have someone to run my errands for me, but the doubling of my car insurance... not so much. He's in the middle of his sophomore year, he doesn't love school work, but what teenager does? He does work hard though and has amazing friends, and a crush named Maddie who lives in Highland. He still loves to run and is playing the Cello in chamber orchestra.

  Ryler turned 13 in November and it's weird to think that I have 2 teenagers! He is in 7th grade and playing the trumpet in band. He gets good grades and loves to be outside with his friends as much as possible. He definitely loves his mama and for the most part is helpful and sweet.

  Zoey is in 4th grade and really enjoys school. She has some wonderful teachers and despite her struggles, works so hard on everything she does. She has many friends who love her because she is so kind and easy to get along with. She decided recently to quit her piano lessons but is hoping to try art lessons sometime soon. She's growing up so fast... too fast in my opinion, but her maturity is delightful and I'm loving the time we spend together.

  Aspen is in 2nd grade now, she turned 8 at the end of November and is also growing up way too fast! She's quick-witted and snarky, but so bright. She enjoys school and also loves as much time as possible with her friends. She will be getting baptized on January 9th and it's crazy to think that this is the last of my babies to reach this milestone. Taevin will be getting ordained to the office of a priest next Sunday so that he can baptize her. I think this will be an amazing experience.

  Russ is still working his tail off to make sure we're all taken care of, but he takes it like a champ and we just keep praying that one day his schedule will get better. I can't even express how grateful I am for that man, I don't know what I'd do without him.

  As for me, I didn't go back to work this year. In fact, none of us went back to Bonneville. Before school started, I felt prompted to move the girls to Old Mill Elementary. There were several factors that played into this decision, but ultimately, it just felt right. Ryler moved to Clark N. Johnson and I started the Pathways program. I'm not sure yet where it'll lead, but it's been interesting going back to school after all this time. It's all online which has been fantastic, and I'm learning and growing so much. If nothing else, I hope this will help me teach my kids and set an example for them.

  It's been hard to feel blessed this year, but the reality is that we have been. We are gaining perspective and learning to rely heavily on our Savior. We need more than ever to hear Him so we can know what God wants for us during these times. We really are blessed and are cautiously optimistic about the upcoming year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Feast

  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, for many reasons. I love the opportunity we have to reflect on our blessings and the things that we're thankful for. I love that it's a low pressure holiday, no stress about finances or the obligation to purchase crap we don't need. I love the family time, and last but definitely not least, I LOVE the feast.   On rare occasion I've met people who don't like thanksgiving food and I don't get it, it's shameful really. I mean what kind of person doesn't love turkey, stuffing and fresh baked rolls? To "those people" I say, come to my house, I'll convert you.   What's almost as fun as eating the meal is cooking it, I love spending the day cooking the amazing meal that I know everyone will enjoy. I especially enjoy the pies, so for the last few years, that has been my assignment.   This year I'll be making six pies, Pecan, Banana Cream, Coconut Cream, Cranberry, Lemon Meringue, and of cour

Surprise!

  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball, and it usually happens just when you think you've got things figured out.    Way back when I was praying about having a third child, the number 4 kept coming to me. I laughed and told God that He would need to send twins to get Russ to agree to that number, so part of me was a little apprehensive going into our first ultrasound with Z, but alas there was only one of her so I kind of forgot about the number and moved forward... until that day when the number came back.  Zoey wasn't even a year yet and the feeling came, there was one more. Russ did not feel the same but I used every bit of convincing power within myself, and after many arguments and discussions, he buckled. He gave me 3 months to get pregnant, if it didn't happen he would get his vasectomy. I gladly took what he was willing to give and trusted that God would send this baby that He had promised within the conditions Russ had reluctantly agreed to. I got pregnant on t

IT'S NOT KAYLEE!!!

  My beautiful daughter is now 8 months old, and every time I've taken her to the doctors office, without fail the nurse comes out and calls for "Kaylee Ires" aaaaaaaah! Could anything be more annoying? As I'm sure I've mentioned before, KALEI is the traditional Hawaiian spelling of her name but since we don't live in Hawaii and white people won't take the time to figure it out, this has been extremely problematic. I could just picture every teacher she ever has doing exactly the same thing as the doctor's office. Now there's nothing I can do about the mispronunciation of our last name, but I'll not stand for it when it comes to her first name. About 2 weeks ago I was really feeling bothered about the situation so I went to Russ with my concern and expressed my desire to change the spelling of her name. At first he just assumed that I was having one of those premenstrual crazy moments and told me to get over it, but after a fair amount of per